Las Vegas Sun

December 6, 2021

Currently: 75° — Complete forecast


Police: Man confessed to rape, murder of 15-year-old girl

More Missing Girl Memorial

Steve Marcus

A memorial for 15-year-old Alyssa Otremba is shown near Grand Teton Drive and Tee Pee Lane on Monday, Sept. 5, 2011.

Updated Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2011 | 5:53 p.m.

Click to enlarge photo

Javier Righetti

Memorial for Alyssa Otremba

A memorial for 15-year-old Alyssa Otremba is shown near Grand Teton Drive and Tee Pee Lane Monday, September 5, 2011. Launch slideshow »


A 15-year-old girl was stabbed 40 times by a man who was arrested and allegedly confessed to killing and raping her, according to an arrest report released Tuesday.

Alyssa Otremba’s burned body was found Saturday in a vacant northwest valley lot. The Arbor View High School sophomore’s mother reported her missing after she failed to return home from a walk Friday evening.

On Monday, Metro Police confirmed the body was that of Otremba and announced the arrest of a suspect, 19-year-old Javier Righetti.

Police said a tip from the girlfriend of Righetti’s friend led detectives to the suspect’s home in the 7900 block of Willow Pines Place, near Grand Teton Drive and El Capitan Way. Police arrested Righetti on Monday in connection with murder with a deadly weapon, sexual assault with a deadly weapon, first-degree kidnapping with a deadly weapon and robbery with a deadly weapon.

Otremba had sent her mother a text message about 6:30 p.m. Friday that said, “I am on Grand Teton heading home, I will be home in 30 min.”

Family and friends searching for the girl Saturday located a burned, unrecognizable body in a lot near U.S. 95 at Oso Blanca Road and Grand Teton Drive. An autopsy by the coroner confirmed her identity Monday.

She had more than 40 stab wounds to the face, neck, chest, stomach and thighs, according to the arrest report. An accelerant had been used to burn the body.

During the investigation, a woman called police because she thought she had information about the girl’s murder. Detectives met with the woman, who was the girlfriend of one of Righetti’s friends, on Monday, according to the arrest report.

She told police that Righetti called her boyfriend numerous times Friday night. Her boyfriend, Daniel Ortiz, finally answered his phone, at which point Righetti allegedly told him he needed help, according to the arrest report.

Ortiz allegedly dropped his girlfriend off at her home because Righetti wanted him to come alone, according to the police report.

Detectives then contacted Ortiz, who said Righetti told him that “he had killed a young girl in the desert area,” police noted in the report. Ortiz allegedly didn’t believe him, brushing the statement off as the product of Righetti being high.

Ortiz, however, said he took Righetti to a 7-Eleven store on Durango Drive to buy matches, according to the arrest report. Afterward, Righetti allegedly ran across the street to an Albertson’s Express and bought gasoline in a silver can, Ortiz told police.

Click to enlarge photo

Francisco Servin lights a candle at a memorial for 15-year-old Alyssa Otremba near Grand Teton Drive and Tee Pee Lane Monday, September 5, 2011.

Righetti had the can of gasoline and a small duffle bag with him when he got to the car, but Ortiz told police he didn’t know what was in the bag.

Righetti allegedly asked Ortiz to drive him to the vacant lot near Oso Blanca Road, according to the arrest report. Ortiz said Righetti asked him to come with him, but Ortiz said he felt ill and left the scene.

Ortiz told police he had been avoiding Righetti’s calls ever since the incident, according to the arrest report.

When detectives served a search warrant at the house where Righetti lived, he surrendered to officers, police said.

Righetti allegedly confessed to another robbery and rape, in addition to the kidnapping, rape and murder of Otremba, according to the arrest report. He told detectives he followed Otremba to rob and rape her, then he killed her with a kitchen knife from his house, police noted in the report.

Righetti is being held in the Clark County Detention Center without bail, according to jail records.

Friends and family have formed a makeshift memorial for Otremba at the vacant lot where she was found. Otremba, a band member at Arbor View, was described by friends as a “very open” person who was funny and nice.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy