Friday, June 8, 2012 | 2 a.m.
More stories and photos
First the oh-so-important basics: Beat the heat, stay comfy and keep it cheap. You’re sure to get dirty, sweaty, boozy and glittery, so go with clothes you don’t mind bringing home with a thick coating of dust (or sparkles). Now for the fun stuff: Halloween is still four months away, but if you’re at the speedway this weekend, almost anything goes.
1. If you’re channeling your inner gymnast with a leotard, going beach babe in a bikini or rockin’ nada but body paint and stickers, well, you’re all set. Grab a tutu and something rainbow-colored and get ready to look like a cartoon character for three nights straight.
2. Not dressing like Tinkerbell? Here are some practical style tips for everyone else: On top, think tissue-thin tanks or tunics in lightweight fabrics or lace. And keep it loose — anything too tight will start to feel like a sweater in that crowd.
3. Embrace your natural height. For footwear, go with flat sandals, ankle-strap flats or — gasp! — colorful sneakers. Some of you will still undoubtedly wear heels. Consider this a preemptive told ya so.
1. You’re already wearing shorts, a tank and sneakers (probably Vans). (In fact, you might not even change between now and then.) Toss on a hat and some neon shades if that moonlight is too bright. Tough life.
2. The EDC color palette includes blacklight-friendly greens and blues with slices of neon throughout. Stick to these to fit in with the crowds or get creative and stick out. And remember: brighter is better.
3. Still unprepared? These local spots have you covered: Halloween Mart, American Apparel, R&D Hipster Emporium, Better Than New Boutique, H&M and Urban Outfitters.
This story first appeared in Sun sister publication Las Vegas Weekly.