Las Vegas Sun

June 16, 2024

Metro Police say driver in fatal bus stop crash is being transferred to jail

Gary Lee Hosey Jr. has history of run-ins with Metro

Fatal Bus Stop Accident

Steve Marcus

Metro Police investigate after a car crashed into a bus stop on Spring Mountain Road east of Decatur Boulevard, killing four people, on Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012.

Updated Friday, Sept. 14, 2012 | 3:53 p.m.

Gary Lee Hosey Jr.

Gary Lee Hosey Jr.

The man arrested in Thursday's alleged drunk driving accident where his car left the road and struck a bus shelter full of people, killing four, had been arrested five times by Metro Police in the past two years.

Police identified Gary Lee Hosey Jr., 23, as the driver of the Chevrolet Monte Carlo that collided with the bus stop near Spring Mountain Road and Decatur Boulevard at 6:25 a.m. Thursday, injuring eight people and killing four others.

Hosey, who was injured in Thursday’s accident and is in police custody at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, was charged with four counts of felony driving under the influence causing death stemming from the incident. At midafternoon Friday, Officer Bill Cassell, Metro spokesman, said Hosey was in the process of being released from the hospital and would be booked Friday evening into the Clark County Detention Center.

"He will see sunrise from bars," Cassell said.

Hosey was scheduled to appear at 7:30 a.m. Monday in Las Vegas Township Justice Court.

Hosey has had several previous run-ins with Metro, starting with an April 2011 arrest for possession of a controlled substance, Metro spokeswoman Laura Meltzer said. Since then, Hosey has been arrested by Metro four more times, including for lewd and lascivious conduct, obstructing a public officer, and an August arrest for larceny from a person.

Also, in June 2011, Hosey was ticketed for speeding 11 to 20 miles per hour over the posted limit and failing to obtain a Nevada’s drivers license within 30 days of moving to the state.

Three male victims remained in critical condition Friday morning — two at University Medical Center and one at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, according to hospital officials.

One of the four males transported Thursday to UMC has been released from the hospital, UMC spokeswoman Danita Cohen said. The fourth male was hospitalized in fair condition, she said.

At Sunrise Hospital, three other victims — two males and one female — were in good condition Friday, said Stacy Acquista, a spokeswoman for Sunrise.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy