Monday, April 8, 2013 | 5:14 p.m.
The Clark County School Board is hosting 12 community meetings in April and May to get public input on the search for a new superintendent.
School Board members are looking to find a replacement for former Superintendent Dwight Jones, who abruptly resigned his post last month. Jones said he was leaving to care for his elderly mother in Dallas.
Over the past three weeks, the School Board has been considering launching a national search for the next superintendent of the nation’s fifth-largest school district.
The board postponed entering into a contract with a search firm last week, amid community pressure to keep Interim Superintendent Pat Skorkowsky in the position permanently.
On May 20, the School Board is expected to decide whether to move forward with a national search or to keep Skorkowsky on as superintendent.
Over the next two months, School Board members are hoping to hear from community members about the search process and district reform efforts under Jones.
District organizers said they chose a mix of dates, times and locations to include as many constituent voices as possible. Members of the public may attend any of these meetings.
Two meetings will be streamed live http://ccsd.net by Vegas PBS. The public may submit comments and questions in an online survey or at the meetings. Spanish translators will be provided.
Here is a list of the meetings:
• Tuesday, April 16, 9:30 a.m., at Sierra Vista High School, Room 404, 8100 W. Robindale Rd., Las Vegas. The meeting will be broadcast live online.
• Wednesday, April 17, 7 a.m., at Edward A. Greer Education Center, Board Room, 2832 E. Flamingo Road, Las Vegas.
• Tuesday, April 23, 5:30 p.m., at Valley High School, Gym, 2839 S. Burnham Ave., Las Vegas.
• Wednesday, April 24, 5:30 p.m., at Chaparral High School, Room 116, 3850 Annie Oakley Drive, Las Vegas. The meeting will be broadcast live online.
• Saturday, April 27, 9:30 a.m., at Kermit R. Booker Sr. Elementary School, 2277 N. Martin L. King Blvd., Las Vegas.
• Tuesday, April 30, 5:30 p.m., at Basic High School, 400 Palo Verde Drive, Henderson.
• Thursday, May 2, 5:30 p.m., at Virgin Valley High School, 820 Valley View Drive, Mesquite.
• Friday, May 3, noon, at Ed W. Clark High School, in the theater, 4291 W. Pennwood Ave., Las Vegas.
• Monday, May 6, 4 p.m., at CCSD Administrative Center, Room 242, 5100 W. Sahara Ave., Las Vegas.
• Wednesday, May 8, 7 p.m., at Cimarron-Memorial High School, in the theater, 2301 N. Tenaya Way, Las Vegas.
• Saturday, May 11, 9:30 a.m., at Western High School, in the theater, 4601 W. Bonanza Road, Las Vegas.
• Monday, May 13, 7 p.m., at Legacy High School, in the theater, 150 W. Deer Springs Way, Las Vegas.