Monday, Dec. 9, 2013 | 9:55 a.m.
A fire today at a vacant house may have been caused by homeless people staying there, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue officials said.
A Metro Police officer noticed light smoke rising from the house at 1721 Elm Ave., near Bruce Street and Stewart Avenue, about 4:10 a.m. and alerted the fire department, officials said.
Firefighters arrived minutes later and extinguished the fire, which was confined to a back bedroom, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.
No one was injured.
The fire caused about $20,000 damage. The house had been vacant for about two months and utilities were disconnected, but homeless people appeared to have been staying in the house, Szymanski said.