Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013 | 3:36 p.m.
A fire was started intentionally late Saturday morning in a vacant assisted living facility located downtown, officials said.
The blaze erupted about 10:30 a.m. at the former Fremont Assisted Living Center in the 100 block of South 14th Street. When firefighters arrived, light smoke was billowing from one window on the third floor of the three-story building.
Firefighters forced their way inside and quickly put out the small fire, which was contained to one room.
Officials determined that the fire started in two places inside the room.
No one was hurt, and damage was estimated at $5,000.
The building has been vacant for several months but still contains furniture, mattresses and other items.
People who live in the area told investigators that people frequently go in and come out of the building during the day and night. There was evidence that homeless people have been staying in the building, fire officials said.