Tuesday, April 1, 2014 | 11 p.m.
On a windy and cool night suitable for an Oktoberfest party, the mayor, ex-mayor and dozens of drinkers foisted beers, and a martini, to the grand opening of Bier Garten, an indoor/outdoor bar/eatery in the Plaza Hotel & Casino.
Sam Cherry and Grant Garcia teamed up with the Plaza to open the downtown’s newest establishment, which includes 3,000 square feet of real grass outside.
“It gives people a place to escape the concrete jungle,” Cherry said before the ceremony kicked off.
Some tidbits about the place:
• The tables for outdoor seating are from a 1980s Munich Oktobertfest.
• It includes a “living wall” of more than 900 plants.
• It features more than two dozen handcrafted beers on tap and several bottled microbrews.
• Artisan sausages by Jeffrey Martell, chef of Oscar’s steakhouse (on the Plaza’s second floor) are also on the menu. A vegetarian sausage made with Tofurky is also available.
• Dogs and cats will be allowed onto the outdoor space.
The two Goodmans — Carolyn and Oscar — referenced the rare site of healthy, outdoor grass in the desert as to set up some references to the City Council’s recent move to legalize medical marijuana dispensaries in the city.
Hours are 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. See biergartenlv.com for more information.
Joe Schoenmann doesn’t just cover downtown; he lives and works there. Schoenmann is Greenspun Media Group’s embedded downtown journalist, working from an office in the Emergency Arts building.