Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2014 | 2 a.m.
Las Vegas Sun sports reporters Ray Brewer and Case Keefer discuss Green Valley's victory over Coronado and glance over the rest of the Sunrise. Brewer declares it 'The Green Valley Podcast' before they wrap up.
The Green Valley High football team made a big-time statement by limiting Coronado to seven points last week in a critical Southeast League showdown.
The victory puts the Gators in the driver’s seat to win the league, which would give them home field advantage in the playoffs.
The Gators’ rushing attack from Albert Lake and Brenan Adams has been the difference, with the Gators dominating the line of the scrimmage to take over games.
This week, the Gators rise to No. 4 in the Sun’s weekly rankings. It’s the highest they’ve been ranked since they lost to Palo Verde as the fifth-ranked team. That loss, on a final-minute pass completion, is the lone defeat. It’s a game you could argue Green Valley should have won, especially if the Gators performed like they did against Coronado.
Some feel Green Valley is now the favorite to win the Sunrise Region. We’ll let the results on the field determine the champion.
Here are the rest of the rankings:
1. Bishop Gorman (8-0): Gorman has outscored two local opponents 133-0. Maybe Legacy can score against the five-time defending state champions this week? Up next: Friday vs. Legacy.
2.Arbor View (6-0): Arbor View, already considered the second-best team in Southern Nevada, is going to be dangerous once it gets healthy. Up next: Friday at Bonanza
3. Centennial(6-0): Raise your hand if you think Centennial will beat Arbor View Oct. 30. That’s the next game Centennial will be challenged in. Up next: Friday at Shadow Ridge
4. Green Valley (5-1): Does Green Valley’s sound victory last week against Coronado make the Gators the Sunset Region favorites? Up next: Friday vs. Canyon Springs
5. Liberty (5-2): We will learn more about Liberty’s improvements this week against Silverado. Up next: Thursday vs. Silverado
6. Palo Verde (4-2): The countdown to Gorman-Palo Verde is officially on. Too bad it will be overshadowed this year by the game of the year, Centennial-Arbor View. Friday vs. Durango
7. Canyon Springs (4-2): Canyon Springs put up a good fight against Las Vegas, but couldn’t overcome the Liberty hangover. After beating Liberty two weeks ago, they trailed Las Vegas 20-0 in the first half. Tough to get up for big games in consecutive weeks. Up next: Friday at Green Valley
8. Moapa Valley (7-0): Is playing in the weak Division I-A hurting Moapa Valley? Eventually, Moapa Valley’s starters will have to play a full game. Up next: Friday vs. Boulder City
9. Coronado (3-3): In close defeats earlier this season to Liberty and Arbor View, you can argue Coronado took a step in the right direction. In losing last week to Green Valley, though, that wasn’t the case. Coronado is the only team in the rankings with a 3-3 record. Up next: Friday vs. Eldorado
10. Desert Pines (6-1): You could easily argue Las Vegas, after beating a top-10 opponent last week in Canyon Springs, deserves to return to the rankings. The Wildcats, though, still have some ground to cover. Of the six Desert Pines wins, they’ve won four of them comfortably by double digits. And, in the past two weeks, Desert Pines has surrendered just 12 points total. Up next: Friday vs. Del Sol