Tuesday, July 18, 2017 | 7:41 p.m.
After shooting three men following an argument during a game of dominoes last month, the suspect pointed the gun at a fourth person and pulled the trigger. However, there was only a clicking sound because the gun was out of bullets, according to Metro Police court documents.
The alleged shooter, Frederick Douglas Martin, 57, exited the northeast valley house only to realize he’d forgotten the keys to his vehicle, police said. And when he returned and pounded on the door, the would-be victim had already locked him out.
So he fled on foot and was arrested in California two days after the shooting that left two dead, police said.
Martin is scheduled to make a court appearance Wednesday morning, jail logs show.
Officers and medics were dispatched about 7:20 p.m. on June 25 to a house in the 4400 block of Wendy Lane, near Walnut and Craig roads, and found one man’s body in the garage and another in the house, police said. A third man, who twice was shot in a leg and who suffered a graze wound to the head, was outside.
The Clark County coroner’s office identified the fatal victims as 37-year-old Demond Billingsley and 20-year-old Calvin Lashawn Clark.
Witnesses told detectives that Martin had been angered during a game of dominoes when he thought one of the men had insulted and laughed at him, so he argued and then went outside, returning with a gun and pumping gunfire into the three men, police said. He was out of ammunition when he tried to shoot the fourth.
Martin was arrested on June 27 near Victorville, Calif., on a Metro warrant, police said.
He was booked last Thursday without bail at the Clark County Detention Center on two counts each of murder and attempted murder and one count of battery with a deadly weapon, police said.