Friday, Sept. 28, 2018 | 3:59 p.m.
An operation led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents in Nevada this month netted 67 arrests in Clark County, mostly people previously convicted on serious and violent offenses, the federal agency announced today.
A total of 102 people — 96 males and six females — were taken into custody in the six-day operation, which concluded Sept. 27, officials said. The U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force assisted.
Most of those arrested were nationals of the Bahamas, China, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua, the Philippines and the United Kingdom, officials said.
The majority of immigrants targeted had previous convictions on charges such as assault, battery, domestic battery, domestic violence, DUI, and weapons and drug charges, officials said.
“The arrestees who are not being federally prosecuted will be processed administratively for removal from the United States,” a news release said.
They included a previously deported 39-year-old Mexican national arrested Sept. 25 in Las Vegas whom authorities said had been convicted of drug possession with the intent to sell.
A previously deported undocumented 41-year-old Mexican woman arrested in Las Vegas Sept. 24 had been convicted on a felony count for transporting or selling drugs and on a DUI count, officials said.
A 58-year-old Chinese national wanted by Interpol in an embezzlement case in his home country was arrested in Las Vegas Sept. 24, authorities said.
“This operation reflects ICE’s continued effort to uphold public safety by focusing on removing criminal aliens,” Robert Culley, the agency’s regional field office director, said in the news release. “These operations highlight ICE’s vital role in keeping our communities safe.”