Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2009 | 12:13 p.m.
Ten Thanksgiving memories, in no particular order:
1. The smell of turkey and crescent rolls in the oven. But not the smell of sweet potatoes. Barf!
2. Alex Karras.
3. Eating dinner with my siblings at a card table.
4. Oklahoma vs. Nebraska, 1971.
5. Underdog floating aimlessly over the streets of Harlem.
6. Leon Lett, frolicking in the snow.
7. Gimbels Thanksgiving Day Parade, before they changed the name and invited Kelly Ripa.
8. The tryptophan kicking in during the first quarter of Ole Miss vs. Mississippi State.
9. The sound the turkey made when my aunt plucked its head right off.
10. Clint Longley, goin' deep, 1974.
"Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare. They are consumed in 12 minutes. Halftimes take 12 minutes. This is not coincidence." -- Erma Bombeck