Thursday, June 4, 2009 | 6:34 p.m.
CARSON CITY – O.J. Simpson, sentenced to 33 years for robbing collectible dealers in Las Vegas, is a flight risk if he is allowed on bail, says the Clark County District Attorney’s Office.
Attorneys for the former football star filed a petition with the Nevada Supreme Court last week, asking that Simpson be released on bail while his appeal is considered.
Simpson, 61, is serving his sentence at the Lovelock Correctional Center.
Steven S. Owens, chief deputy district attorney for Clark County, said Simpson wants to return to Florida during his appeal to the Supreme Court. He said this would “further hinder the state’s ability to supervise him and increase the likelihood of flight.”
Owens said the district judge in Clark County previously denied the request for bail.
“Simpson has exhibited previous contempt for court orders and failed to follow conditions of his previous bail,” Owens said.
Lawyers for Simpson filed their opening brief on appeal, saying District Judge Jackie Glass made numerous errors during the trial and the conviction should be overturned.
Simpson was found guilty of kidnapping, robbery, use of a deadly weapon, assault and conspiracy. He and his companions entered the room at the Palace Station Hotel in Las Vegas and took property from Bruce Fromong and Alfred Beardsley.
Simpson claimed the property had been stolen from him previously.