Monday, Jan. 17, 2011 | 1:43 a.m.
Henderson fire investigators blamed a cooking incident for a house fire that displaced a family of four and caused about $170,000 in damage Sunday night.
Firefighters responded at 7:15 p.m. to the fire in one unit of a two-story four-plex in the 500 block of Cosmic Star Place, near Eastern Avenue and St. Rose Parkway. Battalion Chief Doug Koopman said a child discovered the fire, then removed a younger sibling from the home and reported the fire from a neighbor's house.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the garage after it had extending through the interior of the home. The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes, but not before causing extensive damage to the home, Koopman said.
No one was injured. The home can't be occupied until repairs are made, officials said.
Two adults and two children were displaced and assisted by the American Red Cross, the Henderson Fire Department Benevolent Association and the HEAT charity. NV Energy, Southwest Gas and a city building inspector assisted in securing the home.
The fire was ruled accidental in nature from a cooking incident. Damage to the structure and contents was estimated at $170,000, Koopman said.
The other three units in the building weren't damaged.