Published Friday, Sept. 2, 2011 | 7:30 p.m.
Updated Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011 | 12:40 a.m.
Scores around the valley Coronado 17, Del Sol 0, Thursday night Arbor View 32, Cimarron-Memorial 20 Moapa Valley 18, Virgin Valley 0 Liberty 37, Green Valley 17 Bishop Gorman 55, Spring Valley 0 Rancho 37, Desert Pines 27 Valley 27, Chaparral 24 Legacy 45, Mojave 7 Las Vegas High 45, Sunrise Mountain 14 Canyon Springs 50, Eldorado 0 Foothill 28, Silverado 13 Centennial 48, Faith Lutheran 7 Clark 40, Pahrump Valley 26 Cheyenne 36, Shadow Ridge 13 Desert Oasis 56, Sierra Vista 14
Las Vegas Sun sports reporters Case Keefer and Ray Brewer recap the action from the first week of high school football and look ahead to another slate of games. Popular topics include this week's Arbor View vs. Palo Verde showdown and last week's stunning upset by Bonanza over Silverado.
These high school football teams will have to be at their best tonight.
For five schools in the Northwest Division, their season opener this evening will be more than the first game of the season. It’s also the start of league play, with the Northwest widely regarded as the state’s toughest league.
One slip up and it’s an uphill battle the rest of the way in a league where most teams are capable of pulling off an upset every Friday night.
The opening night slate includes Legacy at former league power Cheyenne, Mojave at Cimarron-Memorial and Shadow Ridge at Faith Lutheran. On Thursday, defending Northwest champion Palo Verde beat Arbor View, 14-7.
Check back all evening for scores as the games go final. The Sun’s Case Keefer and Ray Brewer will have stories from each of the Las Vegas Valley’s 14 games tonight.
• Bishop Gorman shuts out Desert Oasis
• Coronado blanks Sunrise Mountain, 45-0
• Moapa Valley back on winning track after routing Chaparral
• Durango gets win despite injured quarterback
• Gerard Martinez’s two TD passes helps Cimarron beat Mojave
• Cheyenne slips by Legacy in defensive thriller
• Clark starts season with convincing victory against Western
• Liberty rallies to beat Desert Pines, 35-21
• Basic dedicates lopsided victory to severely injured former star
• Inexperienced Faith Lutheran squad scores 22 unanswered points to beat Shadow Ridge
• O’Darius Mitchell, Eldorado defense come up big against Boulder City
• Virgin Valley topples another 4A classification opponent
• Bonanza claims league opener at Pahrump