- Vegas Play of the Day: Seattle Seahawks at Atlanta Falcons
- Saturday, Jan. 14, 2017
- If you’ve ever read Talking Points, you know I’m a stickler for evaluating teams on as large of a sample size as possible. ...
- NFL Playoffs by the odds: Vegas picks and preview of the divisional round
- Friday, Jan. 13, 2017
- Lines of parlay winners stacked so tall last Sunday that sports book directors may have needed to call the casino cage to get more cash. ...
- The NFL playoffs are down to seven solid teams—and one all-time awful one
- Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017
- In the past three seasons, the top-seeded teams have reached the big game, a streak that will run to four if the New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys reach Super Bowl 51.
- Never too early: Future odds posted on next year's college football champion
- Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2017
- Rankings of next year’s college football teams that leak out the day after the national championship are always preceded with some disclaimer that they're coming, “too early.” ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Charlotte Hornets at Houston Rockets
- Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2017
- The Rockets return home after a brief road trip as the hottest team in the NBA, having won eight straight games and 19 of 21 since the start of December. ....
- High School Basketball Picks: Week 3
- Monday, Jan. 9, 2017
- Midterms have cut into the high school basketball schedule this week, but there are more than enough games to pick. ...
- National championship by the odds: Vegas preview of Alabama vs. Clemson
- Monday, Jan. 9, 2017
- On the surface, the formation of the College Football Playoff should cloud attempts to forecast the national championship game. Adding an extra variable in another game a team must win to reach the championship inherently increases the number of potential outcomes. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Detroit Lions at Seattle Seahawks
- Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017
- In my preview column earlier in the week, I agonized over which teams to pick in both wild-card games with point spreads of more than a touchdown. ...
- Betting: The NFL’s top four seeds are resting and ready to make a Super Bowl push
- Friday, Jan. 6, 2017
- The Patriots, Cowboys, Chiefs and Falcons have history on their side.
- NFL Playoffs by the odds: Vegas picks and preview of wild-card weekend
- Thursday, Jan. 5, 2017
- New England goes into the NFL Playoffs at the same spot on betting boards as it spent the season — far removed at the top.
The pressure is on the Patriots. ...
- Vegas-style college football preview: Pac-12 at the sports book
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013
- When the Pac-10 extended hastily accepted invitations to Utah and Colorado for the 2011 college football season, many hailed it as the dawning of the age of “super conferences.”
- Vegas-style college football preview: Mountain West at the sports books
- Wednesday, July 24, 2013
- The never-ending footrace between Boise State and bookmakers may feature a new leader for the first time in nearly two decades.
The popular narrative of non-BCS conference Boise State baffling the country with its run of sustained success once rang truest in Las Vegas.
- Photos: WSOP November Nine Final Table set with J.C. Tran leading
- Tuesday, July 16, 2013
- The group that played their way into the last session of poker’s $10,000 buy-in world championship early today at The Rio includes two former bracelet ...
- Sports books favor Heat to win next year's NBA title but Clippers moving up
- Monday, June 24, 2013
- The Miami Heat’s championship parade drew to a close Monday in a fashion typical for these types of celebrations — with talk of next season.
The back-to-back NBA champions fielded questions about potentially pulling off the first three-peat in more than a decade next season. Las Vegas has answers, or at least valuable insight into the likelihood of it happening.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports book facts and figures on Heat comeback, Game 7
- Thursday, June 20, 2013
- The dramatic finish in Game 6 of the NBA Finals caused at least three different groups of people spread throughout the country in separate time zones to look foolish.
There were, of course, the much-ridiculed Miami fans who fled the American Airlines Arena exits early before their Heat sparked to win 103-100 in overtime. San Antonio supporters who flooded the Riverwalk anticipating a celebration before their Spurs dulled took their barbs, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Heat victory tonight could mean big business to sports books
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- Tonight marks the closest equivalent to Groundhog Day for local sports books. If the Miami Heat win to extend the NBA Finals to a Game 7, brightness in the form of money gets one last hurrah. Dim the lights around betting windows, though, if they lose.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports books took hit on Heat; zig-zag calls for Spurs tonight
- Sunday, June 16, 2013
- Sports book directors may have flopped to the floor harder than Chris Bosh as game four of the NBA Finals wound down.
Unlike the minor contact Tim Duncan made with Bosh, the Miami Heat actually inflicted pain on bookmakers. They cost Las Vegas books far more than the $5,000 the NBA fined Bosh for his embellishment, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs a small favorite over Heat in series and Game 4
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
- Don’t make the same mistake some analysts made Tuesday night. Don’t pen the Miami Heat’s eulogy yet.
Despite an embarrassing 113-77 loss to San Antonio in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, Miami is a victory Thursday night away from regaining its status as the favorite in the series, according to Las Vegas odds.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: What the odds say about home court format for Heat, Spurs
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
- LeBron James has experienced both the supposed greatest benefit and biggest drawback to the NBA Finals’ 2-3-2 home court format over the past couple of years.
The Heat are now minus-175 (risking $1.75 to win $1) to win the series with the Spurs coming back at plus-155 (risking $1 to win $1.55).
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs now favored in series but history on Heat's side in game two
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
- Fans in San Antonio might as well crank Rihanna’s breakthrough single “Umbrella” and dust off those black and silver Robert Horry jerseys.
They should party like it’s June 2007, and not just because their Spurs are back in the NBA Finals for the first time since suppressing this very King (James) six years ago.