- Desert Pines reloads with new faces as 3A Sunset rivals attempt to close the gap
- Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2017
- Many championship teams come into the following season insisting they don’t feel like they are defending anything.
For Desert Pines this year, it might actually ring true. ...
- Dana White: Nerves at an all-time high for Mayweather vs. McGregor
- Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2017
- Decked out in an official Team McGregor T-shirt, UFC President Dana White planned to spend Tuesday night using his promoter voice to shout about his most famous fighter’s chances in a boxing match against ...
- High School Football Picks: Week 1
- Monday, Aug. 21, 2017
- Las Vegas Sun sports editors Ray Brewer and Case Keefer make their picks for every local high school football game. ...
- Gloves are off for McGregor-Mayweather fight — metaphorically, of course
- Sunday, Aug. 20, 2017
- Oh, yes, they went there. The champion boxer and popular mixed martial arts star have been verbally jabbing each other for more than a month.
- College football by the odds: Six teams to bet on this season
- Saturday, Aug. 19, 2017
- Dust off those vacant sports book seats and roll out the hot dog truck. It’s the last Saturday of the year without college football. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Jacksonville Jaguars
- Thursday, Aug. 17, 2017
- Here’s a hunch that the Jaguars employ their starters longer than the Buccaneers in their preseason home opener tonight. Jacksonville will want to appease its understandably impatient fan base, and more importantly, needs to make some strides offensively going into the season. ...
- 10 acts to catch at Psycho Las Vegas fest
- Thursday, Aug. 17, 2017
- Earthless, Neurosis, Black Anvil and, of course, Swans.
- Sunrise Southeast division goes vertical with high-powered passing games
- Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2017
- In many ways, Silverado coach Andy Ostolaza arrives back to the Sunrise Southeast with the division identical to how it looked in his first eight-year run with the Skyhawks.
All six schools currently in the league were part of the classic group that annually battled for Henderson bragging rights, and all but one opposing team has the same coach as when Ostolaza left three years ago. ...
- Analysis: Age shows no sign of affecting Floyd Mayweather at open workout
- Friday, Aug. 11, 2017
- Floyd Mayweather, Jr. ducked under a team member’s intruding hands well before they ever got into his vicinity and fired a pair of hooks into his faux opponent’s body protector. Thwap. Thwap. The startling firecracker-like noise echoed through Mayweather Boxing Club Thursday afternoon and ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Houston Texans at Carolina Panthers
- Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017
- This line came down from Carolina minus-3 when coach Ron Rivera officially announced he wouldn’t play Cam Newton in the preseason opener. ...
- Vegas-style college football preview: Pac-12 at the sports book
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013
- When the Pac-10 extended hastily accepted invitations to Utah and Colorado for the 2011 college football season, many hailed it as the dawning of the age of “super conferences.”
- Vegas-style college football preview: Mountain West at the sports books
- Wednesday, July 24, 2013
- The never-ending footrace between Boise State and bookmakers may feature a new leader for the first time in nearly two decades.
The popular narrative of non-BCS conference Boise State baffling the country with its run of sustained success once rang truest in Las Vegas.
- Photos: WSOP November Nine Final Table set with J.C. Tran leading
- Tuesday, July 16, 2013
- The group that played their way into the last session of poker’s $10,000 buy-in world championship early today at The Rio includes two former bracelet ...
- Sports books favor Heat to win next year's NBA title but Clippers moving up
- Monday, June 24, 2013
- The Miami Heat’s championship parade drew to a close Monday in a fashion typical for these types of celebrations — with talk of next season.
The back-to-back NBA champions fielded questions about potentially pulling off the first three-peat in more than a decade next season. Las Vegas has answers, or at least valuable insight into the likelihood of it happening.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports book facts and figures on Heat comeback, Game 7
- Thursday, June 20, 2013
- The dramatic finish in Game 6 of the NBA Finals caused at least three different groups of people spread throughout the country in separate time zones to look foolish.
There were, of course, the much-ridiculed Miami fans who fled the American Airlines Arena exits early before their Heat sparked to win 103-100 in overtime. San Antonio supporters who flooded the Riverwalk anticipating a celebration before their Spurs dulled took their barbs, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Heat victory tonight could mean big business to sports books
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- Tonight marks the closest equivalent to Groundhog Day for local sports books. If the Miami Heat win to extend the NBA Finals to a Game 7, brightness in the form of money gets one last hurrah. Dim the lights around betting windows, though, if they lose.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports books took hit on Heat; zig-zag calls for Spurs tonight
- Sunday, June 16, 2013
- Sports book directors may have flopped to the floor harder than Chris Bosh as game four of the NBA Finals wound down.
Unlike the minor contact Tim Duncan made with Bosh, the Miami Heat actually inflicted pain on bookmakers. They cost Las Vegas books far more than the $5,000 the NBA fined Bosh for his embellishment, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs a small favorite over Heat in series and Game 4
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
- Don’t make the same mistake some analysts made Tuesday night. Don’t pen the Miami Heat’s eulogy yet.
Despite an embarrassing 113-77 loss to San Antonio in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, Miami is a victory Thursday night away from regaining its status as the favorite in the series, according to Las Vegas odds.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: What the odds say about home court format for Heat, Spurs
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
- LeBron James has experienced both the supposed greatest benefit and biggest drawback to the NBA Finals’ 2-3-2 home court format over the past couple of years.
The Heat are now minus-175 (risking $1.75 to win $1) to win the series with the Spurs coming back at plus-155 (risking $1 to win $1.55).
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs now favored in series but history on Heat's side in game two
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
- Fans in San Antonio might as well crank Rihanna’s breakthrough single “Umbrella” and dust off those black and silver Robert Horry jerseys.
They should party like it’s June 2007, and not just because their Spurs are back in the NBA Finals for the first time since suppressing this very King (James) six years ago.