- Tide is high for Southern Nevada water polo program
- Sunday, May 21, 2017
- Whenever Team Vegas-Henderson Water Polo travels to California for a tournament, players sense their opponents don’t see them as a threat. “Water polo is so big there that they think, ‘Oh, they’re from Vegas, they don’t have a chance,’ ” one player said. “The satisfaction of proving them wrong is awesome.”
- UFC 211 breakdown, betting odds and picks
- Saturday, May 13, 2017
- Two and a half years later, bettors who took the underdog in the main event of UFC on Fox 13 are still complaining. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Washington Wizards at Boston Celtics
- Wednesday, May 10, 2017
- Both teams have shot a higher percentage from the floor in four games of this series than they did in the entire regular season. Neither team is playing defense as well as they did in the regular season. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins
- Monday, May 8, 2017
- Many would say the past has proven it foolish to back the Capitals in a playoff elimination game. I’d say it’s more foolish to pass up the best team in the NHL as an underdog in their most important spot of the season. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Kentucky Derby
- Saturday, May 6, 2017
- Before every major sporting event, sports book types promote Las Vegas as, “the second-best place to be,” behind only actually attending. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: San Antonio Spurs at Houston Rockets
- Friday, May 5, 2017
- Nearly 80 percent of the betting action is coming in against the Spurs in a spot where they’re getting as many points on the spread as they have all season. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Toronto Raptors at Cleveland Cavaliers
- Monday, May 1, 2017
- The last time these teams played at full strength at Quicken Loans Arena, the Cavaliers gave 5.5 points and narrowly failed to cover in a 121-117 win. ...
- First family of Las Vegas sports betting handicaps the Kentucky Derby
- Sunday, April 30, 2017
- Tony Vega heads the Boulder Station race and sports book, and customers know to tap his experience betting on horses. He grew up in LA near Santa Anita and became an accomplished tournament handicapper. After moving to Las Vegas, he broke into the sports book world. Curious whom he’s picked to win this year’s Kentucky Derby?
- Raider fans get raucous at ‘Draft Day’, team’s first public event in Las Vegas
- Sunday, April 30, 2017
- Motorists passing the Welcome to Las Vegas sign only needed to honk their horns or roll down a window to receive a morning salute on Saturday. ...
- NFL Mock Draft: How the first round shakes out in big night for Las Vegas
- Thursday, April 27, 2017
- Expect the NFL Draft ratings to spike in Southern Nevada this year.
Locals have more reason than ever to tune into the 82nd annual event. ....
- Vegas-style college football preview: Pac-12 at the sports book
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013
- When the Pac-10 extended hastily accepted invitations to Utah and Colorado for the 2011 college football season, many hailed it as the dawning of the age of “super conferences.”
- Vegas-style college football preview: Mountain West at the sports books
- Wednesday, July 24, 2013
- The never-ending footrace between Boise State and bookmakers may feature a new leader for the first time in nearly two decades.
The popular narrative of non-BCS conference Boise State baffling the country with its run of sustained success once rang truest in Las Vegas.
- Photos: WSOP November Nine Final Table set with J.C. Tran leading
- Tuesday, July 16, 2013
- The group that played their way into the last session of poker’s $10,000 buy-in world championship early today at The Rio includes two former bracelet ...
- Sports books favor Heat to win next year's NBA title but Clippers moving up
- Monday, June 24, 2013
- The Miami Heat’s championship parade drew to a close Monday in a fashion typical for these types of celebrations — with talk of next season.
The back-to-back NBA champions fielded questions about potentially pulling off the first three-peat in more than a decade next season. Las Vegas has answers, or at least valuable insight into the likelihood of it happening.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports book facts and figures on Heat comeback, Game 7
- Thursday, June 20, 2013
- The dramatic finish in Game 6 of the NBA Finals caused at least three different groups of people spread throughout the country in separate time zones to look foolish.
There were, of course, the much-ridiculed Miami fans who fled the American Airlines Arena exits early before their Heat sparked to win 103-100 in overtime. San Antonio supporters who flooded the Riverwalk anticipating a celebration before their Spurs dulled took their barbs, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Heat victory tonight could mean big business to sports books
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- Tonight marks the closest equivalent to Groundhog Day for local sports books. If the Miami Heat win to extend the NBA Finals to a Game 7, brightness in the form of money gets one last hurrah. Dim the lights around betting windows, though, if they lose.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports books took hit on Heat; zig-zag calls for Spurs tonight
- Sunday, June 16, 2013
- Sports book directors may have flopped to the floor harder than Chris Bosh as game four of the NBA Finals wound down.
Unlike the minor contact Tim Duncan made with Bosh, the Miami Heat actually inflicted pain on bookmakers. They cost Las Vegas books far more than the $5,000 the NBA fined Bosh for his embellishment, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs a small favorite over Heat in series and Game 4
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
- Don’t make the same mistake some analysts made Tuesday night. Don’t pen the Miami Heat’s eulogy yet.
Despite an embarrassing 113-77 loss to San Antonio in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, Miami is a victory Thursday night away from regaining its status as the favorite in the series, according to Las Vegas odds.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: What the odds say about home court format for Heat, Spurs
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
- LeBron James has experienced both the supposed greatest benefit and biggest drawback to the NBA Finals’ 2-3-2 home court format over the past couple of years.
The Heat are now minus-175 (risking $1.75 to win $1) to win the series with the Spurs coming back at plus-155 (risking $1 to win $1.55).
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs now favored in series but history on Heat's side in game two
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
- Fans in San Antonio might as well crank Rihanna’s breakthrough single “Umbrella” and dust off those black and silver Robert Horry jerseys.
They should party like it’s June 2007, and not just because their Spurs are back in the NBA Finals for the first time since suppressing this very King (James) six years ago.