- Sunrise Southeast division goes vertical with high-powered passing games
- Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2017
- In many ways, Silverado coach Andy Ostolaza arrives back to the Sunrise Southeast with the division identical to how it looked in his first eight-year run with the Skyhawks.
All six schools currently in the league were part of the classic group that annually battled for Henderson bragging rights, and all but one opposing team has the same coach as when Ostolaza left three years ago. ...
- Analysis: Age shows no sign of affecting Floyd Mayweather at open workout
- Friday, Aug. 11, 2017
- Floyd Mayweather, Jr. ducked under a team member’s intruding hands well before they ever got into his vicinity and fired a pair of hooks into his faux opponent’s body protector. Thwap. Thwap. The startling firecracker-like noise echoed through Mayweather Boxing Club Thursday afternoon and ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Houston Texans at Carolina Panthers
- Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017
- This line came down from Carolina minus-3 when coach Ron Rivera officially announced he wouldn’t play Cam Newton in the preseason opener. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Miami Marlins at Atlanta Braves
- Saturday, Aug. 5, 2017
- Both Braves’ starter Mike Foltynewicz and Marlins’ starter Dan Straily were ineffective in appearances earlier this week. ...
- Calvary Chapel’s hire of Dave Bliss strikes too close to home for local basketball lifer
- Saturday, Aug. 5, 2017
- Reggie Williams cried his eyes out earlier this year watching “Disgraced,” the Showtime documentary chronicling the murder of his friend and Baylor University basketball player Patrick Dennehy in 2003 and the ensuing fallout. The only comfort the local man found was ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Cleveland Indians at Boston Red Sox
- Tuesday, Aug. 1, 2017
- More than likely, the Red Sox win their second straight against the Indians tonight. ...
- UFC 214 breakdown, betting odds and picks
- Saturday, July 29, 2017
- Jon Jones’ odds to defeat Daniel Cormier dipped as low as minus-150 (risking $1.50 to win $1) before the first time the rivals fought at UFC 182 in January 2015. ....
- Analysis: Jones vs. Cormier is the UFC’s best fight despite diminished buzz
- Thursday, July 27, 2017
- Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier were ubiquitous before the first time they fought. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: New York Yankees at Seattle Mariners
- Saturday, July 22, 2017
- The Yankees have soothed concerns of a post-All Star Break slump after a somewhat slow start by winning the first two games of this series in Seattle. ...
- Two rookies top WSOP Main Event final table headed into final session
- Saturday, July 22, 2017
- Two days before the World Series of Poker Main Event began, Dan Ott didn’t know if he was going to play. Ott had planned to play in poker’s world championship all summer, but he was ...
- Vegas-style college football preview: Pac-12 at the sports book
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013
- When the Pac-10 extended hastily accepted invitations to Utah and Colorado for the 2011 college football season, many hailed it as the dawning of the age of “super conferences.”
- Vegas-style college football preview: Mountain West at the sports books
- Wednesday, July 24, 2013
- The never-ending footrace between Boise State and bookmakers may feature a new leader for the first time in nearly two decades.
The popular narrative of non-BCS conference Boise State baffling the country with its run of sustained success once rang truest in Las Vegas.
- Photos: WSOP November Nine Final Table set with J.C. Tran leading
- Tuesday, July 16, 2013
- The group that played their way into the last session of poker’s $10,000 buy-in world championship early today at The Rio includes two former bracelet ...
- Sports books favor Heat to win next year's NBA title but Clippers moving up
- Monday, June 24, 2013
- The Miami Heat’s championship parade drew to a close Monday in a fashion typical for these types of celebrations — with talk of next season.
The back-to-back NBA champions fielded questions about potentially pulling off the first three-peat in more than a decade next season. Las Vegas has answers, or at least valuable insight into the likelihood of it happening.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports book facts and figures on Heat comeback, Game 7
- Thursday, June 20, 2013
- The dramatic finish in Game 6 of the NBA Finals caused at least three different groups of people spread throughout the country in separate time zones to look foolish.
There were, of course, the much-ridiculed Miami fans who fled the American Airlines Arena exits early before their Heat sparked to win 103-100 in overtime. San Antonio supporters who flooded the Riverwalk anticipating a celebration before their Spurs dulled took their barbs, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Heat victory tonight could mean big business to sports books
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- Tonight marks the closest equivalent to Groundhog Day for local sports books. If the Miami Heat win to extend the NBA Finals to a Game 7, brightness in the form of money gets one last hurrah. Dim the lights around betting windows, though, if they lose.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports books took hit on Heat; zig-zag calls for Spurs tonight
- Sunday, June 16, 2013
- Sports book directors may have flopped to the floor harder than Chris Bosh as game four of the NBA Finals wound down.
Unlike the minor contact Tim Duncan made with Bosh, the Miami Heat actually inflicted pain on bookmakers. They cost Las Vegas books far more than the $5,000 the NBA fined Bosh for his embellishment, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs a small favorite over Heat in series and Game 4
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
- Don’t make the same mistake some analysts made Tuesday night. Don’t pen the Miami Heat’s eulogy yet.
Despite an embarrassing 113-77 loss to San Antonio in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, Miami is a victory Thursday night away from regaining its status as the favorite in the series, according to Las Vegas odds.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: What the odds say about home court format for Heat, Spurs
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
- LeBron James has experienced both the supposed greatest benefit and biggest drawback to the NBA Finals’ 2-3-2 home court format over the past couple of years.
The Heat are now minus-175 (risking $1.75 to win $1) to win the series with the Spurs coming back at plus-155 (risking $1 to win $1.55).
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs now favored in series but history on Heat's side in game two
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
- Fans in San Antonio might as well crank Rihanna’s breakthrough single “Umbrella” and dust off those black and silver Robert Horry jerseys.
They should party like it’s June 2007, and not just because their Spurs are back in the NBA Finals for the first time since suppressing this very King (James) six years ago.