Published Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012 | 11:20 a.m.
Updated Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012 | 3:24 p.m.
Map of Planet Hollywood
3570 S. Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas
Clark County Firefighters were called Thursday morning to the Strip to extinguish a fire in a trash chute at the Planet Hollywood, which caused an estimated $100,000 in damage.
Firefighters responded to reports of smoke at 10:12 a.m. and discovered the fire, which was quickly contained, in a fifth-floor chute in the north hotel tower, according to Clark County spokesman Dan Kulin.
Sprinklers inside the chute activated to control the fire, but firefighters found smoldering material in or around the trash chutes from the second to the ninth floors, Kulin said in a statement. Sparks produced by workers grinding metal with an industrial tool around the trash chute caused the fire, he said.
Heavy smoke was reported on several floors, and the fifth, sixth and seventh floors were evacuated, Kulin said.
A woman in her 60s, reported to be an employee of the casino, was transported to Sunrise Hospital, but she was conscious and alert, Kulin said.