Tuesday, June 26, 2018 | 7:45 p.m.
A motive as to why a high-stakes gambler armed with an arsenal of high-powered rifles killed 58 concert attendees at the Las Vegas Strip Oct 1, wounding hundreds more, hasn’t been established, according to Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo
“(And) I don’t see anything changing in the near future that would change my statement,” Lombardo told KSNV Channel 3 in an interview broadcast Tuesday evening.
The interview came on the heels of Lombardo’s June 12 re-election and weeks before a comprehensive Metro Police investigative report on the shooting is expected to be released around the end of July.
A behavioral analysis on Stephen Paddock — being put together by the FBI — will be made public later this year, Lombardo said. Paddock’s mental health had been deteriorating before he opened fire from his Mandalay Bay 32nd floor perch, Lombardo reiterated.
Investigative leads are still being received and chased down almost nine months after the tragedy, Lombardo said.
There are still “outstanding questions” regarding Marilou Danley’s “actions,” Lombardo said about Paddock’s girlfriend who was overseas when the 64-year-old gambler smashed two windows and rained about 1,000 bullets on Route 91 Harvest festival attendees. The sheriff didn’t expound on what he meant.
Lombardo also defended the department’s transparency track record, noting that before the shooting, it wasn’t common practice to release public information before an investigation was completed.
Through a court order, Metro has been releasing video, audio and hundreds of documents on a weekly basis. Lombardo said roughly 20 Metro staff members have been pulled from daily duties to compile, redact and release the records.
He also expressed concern over re-victimizing families of victims and massacre survivors.