Las Vegas Sun

August 18, 2019

Currently: 92° — Complete forecast

Arson suspected in fire at vacant restaurant, officials say

Updated Monday, July 15, 2019 | 12:40 p.m.

An arson fire at a closed fast-food restaurant this morning caused an estimated $25,000 in damage, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue officials.

Nobody was injured, official said.

The fire was reported about 9 a.m. at a boarded-up Checkers restaurant in the 1900 block of Charleston Boulevard, officials said. The main blaze, which was extinguished within minutes, was located in the kitchen area of the building, officials said.

The building was frequented by squatters, and the cause of the fire was ruled arson, officials said.

It appears the fire was started in at least two places inside the building, officials said. A shopping cart of items behind the building also was on fire, officials said.