UFC: A look through the lens
Take a look back at several UFC events staged in Las Vegas over the last couple of years.
- Mike Smith's Best of January cartoons
- February 6, 2017, 12:52 PM
- Mike Smith's Best of January cartoons
- UFC 101: Declaration
- August 8, 2009, 7:30 PM
- Champs Anderson Silva and B.J. Penn put on quite the show as the UFC made its Pennsylvania debut Saturday, Aug. 8, 2009 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.
- UFC 98: Evans vs. Machida
- May 24, 2009, 12 AM
- Lyoto Machida claimed the light heavyweight title with a second-round KO of Rashad Evans in the first-ever title fight between two undefeated fighters at UFC 98 on Saturday, May 23, 2009. Matt Hughes defeated Matt Serra in their longtime grudge match.
- UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn 2
- January 31, 2009, 10:26 PM
- Georges St. Pierre emerged victorious in the first ever UFC bout between two current title holders. Had Penn won, it would have been the first time a UFC fighter held titles in two weight classes at the same time. In the co-main event, Lyoto Machida devastated Thiago Silva in a first round knockout.
- UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008
- December 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
- UFC 92 lived up to the hype at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. In one of the most stacked cards of all time, three underdogs won their fights as Rashad Evans defeated Forrest Griffin for the light heavyweight title, Frank Mir won the interim heavyweight title over Antonio Noguiera and Quinton Jackson knocked out Wanderlei Silva.
- UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar
- November 15, 2008, 11 PM (1 Comment)
- Brock Lesnar defeated the legendary Randy Couture by TKO in the second round to claim the UFC heavyweight championship. Kenny Florian earned rights to a title shot as the top lightweight contender with a submission win over Joe Stevenson.
- UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin
- July 19, 2008, 11:26 PM
- The UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva moved up to the light heavyweight division and knocked out James Irvin early in the first round.
- UFC 86: Jackson vs. Griffin
- July 6, 2008, 2:05 AM
- Forrest Griffin and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, coaches of the seventh season of the reality television series "The Ultimate Fighter" squared off with the UFC light heavyweight title on the line. Griffin ended up taking the belt from Jackson with a unanimous decision win.
- UFC 84: Ill Will
- May 24, 2008, 10 PM
- B.J. Penn welcomed Sean Sherk back to the Octagon from his suspension for testing positive for steroids by defeating the former UFC lightweight champion by TKO. It was also the last fight Tito Ortiz fought with the UFC, losing by unanimous decision to Lyoto Machida.
- UFC 81: Breaking Point
- February 2, 2008, 10 PM
- The card featured two heavyweight bouts as Tim Sylvia fell to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira by submission in the third round for the interim heavyweight championship. It was also the debut of WWE star Brock Lesnar, who lost to Frank Mir via submission in the first round.
- UFC 79: Nemesis
- December 29, 2007, 10 PM
- Originally set as a fight between Ultimate Fighter coaches Matt Hughes and Matt Serra, Georges St. Pierre stepped in for the injured Serra for the interim welterweight title. St. Pierre won the fight in the second round via submission. The card also featured a fight between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva, with Liddell prevailing by unanimous decision.
- UFC 74: Respect
- August 25, 2007, 10 PM
- In the UFC heavyweight championship belt, Randy Couture defended his title with a TKO win in the third round over Gabriel Gonzaga. Featured on the card was also Georges St. Pierre, who defeated Josh Koscheck by unanimous decision.
- UFC 71: Liddell vs Jackson
- May 26, 2007, 10 PM
- In one of the highest anticipated rematches in UFC history, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson claimed the UFC light heavyweight championship with a TKO victory over Chuck Liddell in the first round.
- UFC 64: Unstoppable
- December 14, 2006, 10 PM
- The card featured UFC icon Rich Franklin attempting to defend his middleweight title against the highly-touted Anderson Silva. Silva proved to be too much for Franklin, defeating him by TKO in the first round. Sean Sherk and Kenny Florian also fought for the vacant lightweight title. Sherk won by unanimous decision.
Conor McGregor became more than UFC featherweight champion with his 13-second knockout victory over Jose Aldo. He became the UFC. McGregor transcended into a level above any other fighter by living up to every promise about what he’d do to the only previous 145-pound champion in UFC history. And he set a slew of records doing it, including creating a live gate of $10.1 million at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta later said McGregor would become the first man to make more than $100 million in the octagon. The new era didn’t stop with McGregor. Luke Rockhold unseated previously undefeated Chris Weidman in the main event to become the seventh middleweight champion in UFC history.
|Main Card Results|
|Conor McGregor||Jose Aldo||Knockout|
|Luke Rockhold||Chris Weidman||TKO|
|Yoel Romero||Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza||Split Decision|
|Demian Maia||Gunnar Nelson||Unanimous Decision|
|Max Holloway||Jeremy Stephens||Unanimous Decision|
||Showtime Boxing: WBA featherweight title fight
||Carl Frampton vs. Leo Santa Cruz II
||Las Vegas: MGM Grand Garden Arena
||UFC on Fox 23
||Valentina Shevchenko vs. Julianna Pena
||UFC Fight Night 104
||Dennis Bermudez vs. "The Korean Zombie" Chan Sung Jung
||Holly Holm vs. Germaine de Randamie
||UFC Fight Night 105
||Halifax, Nova Scotia
Complete Schedule »