Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012 | 2:01 a.m.
Praise to MGM Resorts International Chairman Jim Murren for his Where I Stand commentary, “A positive vision for the future of Nevada.” As an optimist and pragmatist, he sets the right tone for Nevada, especially Las Vegas’ emerging prosperity.
Our positive trends are:
• The economic blueprint of reform and diversification issued by the Brookings Mountain West Institute.
• The ongoing agenda of our Nevada Development Authority.
• The $2.4 billion new airport Terminal 3.
• Our new grandiose Smith Center for the Performing Arts.
• The renaissance and revitalization of downtown spearheaded by Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh.
• First Fridays’ successful arts, culture and entertainment monthly event.
• The Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health.
• The Green Chips environmental company and Green Chamber of Commerce.
And the list goes on. As Murren says, a lot has been achieved with more to be done — we’re well on our way.
In our new paradigms, I posit the following:
• Rename McCarran the Las Vegas International Airport — the name tourists (our bread and butter) and the world knows best.
• Replace the “Sin City” name with “The Crystal City.” One has class, the other does not. Las Vegas, the Crystal City where dreams, prosperity and happiness abound.
• Live our state motto: “Born to Battle — Nevada Proud!” The words are the epitome philosophy of a positive, progressive, prosperous state.
• Be a daily newspaper subscriber to know all that’s going on in and about our great city of Las Vegas and Nevada. This is necessary to be informed and actively involved in making Murren’s vision a reality.