- U.S. 95 lane shift, ramp closure on Monday part of final phase of ‘Big Squeeze’
- Friday, Aug. 18, 2017
- The final phase of the “Big Squeeze” portion of Project Neon is set to shift traffic on U.S. 95 beginning Monday. ...
- TV show produced by UNLV students wins Emmy Award
- Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2017
- The 30-minute weekly sports and entertainment show, “The Rebel Report”, created and produced by students and faculty at the Hank Greenspun School of Journalism and Media Studies, was recently ...
- How RTC will fight violent passengers on your bus route
- Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2017
- Passengers attacked each other on local buses more frequently last year, but less assaulted bus drivers than in the past. The Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada saw mixed results when comparing violent acts on buses in a year-over-year comparison. Assaults on operators decreased while ...
- Las Vegas product Marcus Banks shoots for title in Ice Cube’s 3-on-3 hoops league
- Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017
- The former UNLV and Cimarron-Memorial High basketball star plays for the Ghost Ballers, one of eight teams vying for four spots in the league’s championship event.
- Lower gasoline prices, ride-sharing mean lower bus ridership, revenues for RTC
- Saturday, Aug. 12, 2017
- Mass transit is seeing the effects of ride-sharing companies in Southern Nevada, according to new statistics from the Regional Transportation Commission. ...
- Interstate 11 segment near Railroad Pass to open on Wednesday
- Friday, Aug. 11, 2017
- The first portion of the Interstate 11 project is set to open next week. The Nevada Department of Transportation will open the southbound lanes of I-11 from Foothill Drive in Henderson to Silverline Road in Boulder City on Tuesday. ...
- Student's new Las Vegas table game similar to blackjack
- Thursday, Aug. 10, 2017
- Matthew Stream dealt hand after hand of blackjack at a Northern California casino and seemed to run into a similar problem for players. In the quickness of ...
- Designed to keep pests out, Yermo station to be replaced
- Tuesday, Aug. 8, 2017
- The cause of many motorists’ ire on their way from Las Vegas to Southern California on Interstate 15 is set to be replaced within two years. The Yermo ...
- Despite funding issues, projections rosy for high-speed train linking Las Vegas, Victorville
- Monday, Aug. 7, 2017
- When XpressWest was chosen in 2015 to build a high-speed rail system between Las Vegas and Southern California, the company said it could start construction as early as fall 2016. That didn’t materialize, but XpressWest ...
- Lyft-Hertz partnership marks 1 million rides in Southern Nevada
- Friday, Aug. 4, 2017
- Two years after two transportation giants teamed up, the pair is celebrating a milestone ride. Lyft and rental car company Hertz recently celebrated providing 1 million rides in Southern Nevada through their Express Drive Rental Car Program. The program has helped hundreds of drivers without vehicles to earn ...
Email » | 702-948-7813
Mick Akers joined the Las Vegas Sun in 2017 after two years at the Pahrump Valley Times, where he earned the 2016 Nevada Press Association's Outstanding Journalist award in the intermediate category. He reported on the Lamar Odom brothel overdose situation, the dire health care situation in Nye County and the Nye County School District. Mick is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and an International Boxing Hall of Fame voter. He is a graduate of UNLV’s Hank Greenspun School of Journalism and Media Studies.
- Locally owned and independent since 1950; Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, best news website in the nation & DuPont Award for broadcast journalism
© Las Vegas Sun, 2017, All Rights Reserved
Las Vegas Sun 2275 Corporate Circle, Ste. 300 Henderson, NV 89074