Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2011 | 3 p.m.
- UFC 137: A look at the next pay-per-view card in Las Vegas
- Nick Diaz’s disappearing act leads to Carlos Condit’s title shot
- Dana White: ‘Nick Diaz obviously can’t handle the pressure of a main event’
- Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz slated for UFC 137 in Las Vegas
- UFC coverage
- All MMA/boxing coverage
The UFC’s biggest star is out of next week’s fight card at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.
Georges St. Pierre suffered an injury in training that will leave him unable to defend his welterweight championship belt against Carlos Condit in the main event of UFC 137. UFC President Dana White made the announcement through his twitter Tuesday.
“It’s GSP’s knee,” White tweeted. “We will sit Carlos to wait for GSP. It’s looking so far like he could be ready in a couple months. Still to early to tell (though).”
White decided to elevate the scheduled co-main event between B.J. Penn and Nick Diaz into the headlining slot.
For Diaz, it’s back where he started. UFC 137 was originally announced as St. Pierre vs. Diaz before White pulled the former Strikeforce champion from the main event for missing a press tour.
“I just landed in NYC and what do I always say? I have to deal with bad (expletive) every day,” White said in his original tweet. “GSP is out with an injury.”
For Condit, the cancellation registers as a major disappointment. The Albuquerque, N.M.-based fighter was putting the finishing touches on his training camp before coming to Las Vegas next week.
“It’s not only been physically demanding,” Condit said minutes before the news broke, “but mentally taxing as well.”
Condit will have to wait a while longer now.